Student Consumer Information

The US Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, requires all institutions of higher education, who receive federal student financial assistance, to make student consumer information available to all enrolled and prospective students. This page acts as a central resource for information that can be found in other Columbia websites, brochures and publications. 

Student Consumer Information

Tuition and Fees
For information on housing, estimated personal expenses, and other costs associated with enrollment, please talk to your school’s financial aid office.

Columbia University offers students many study abroad opportunities. Students who seek to enroll in study abroad programs which have been approved for credit by the University may be eligible to receive federal student aid. To explore their eligibility for federal student aid, students should contact their school’s financial aid office. Additional information regarding study abroad programs can be found at the Office of Global Programs.

The institution awaits additional guidance promised by the U.S. Department of Education on compliant uses of funding under Section 180004(a)(1) of the CARES Act and has not accepted the $12,830,199 for which it has been deemed eligible by the Department’s allocation formula.  If the funding is accepted, we will disclose the total amount of grants distributed to students, the number of recipients, and the method of award determination.

Currently, 0 students have received funding and $0 funds have been expended.

The institution has signed and returned to the U.S. Department of Education the Certification and Agreement which provides the assurance that if the funds are drawn the institution would use no less than 50 percent of the allocation to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.

In accordance with the CARES Act Section 18004(a)(1), the institution has completed the required Quarterly Budget and Expenditure Reporting for the institutional portion of the allocation ($6,415,099), which has not been accepted.

This information will be updated as necessary.

  • Federal regulations require institutions that offer online programs to provide contact information for students who wish to make a complaint to the appropriate state agency in their state of residence.  If contacted by such an agency, the University will work with them to attempt to resolve the dispute. For contact information, please see the Distance Education Complaints.

To find additional consumer information about Columbia and other schools, a good place to start is the U-CAN profile of Columbia, a free, consumer-oriented college information website developed by the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities.

While each section contained within this page has independent contact information specifically pertaining to that content area, general inquiries regarding the compilation of guidelines and information on the Student Consumer Information page can be sent to the Office of Compliance for Student Financial Services at  Copies of reports or information can be provided upon request.