Morningside Campus Display Cases
Reason(s) for the Policy
This policy is instituted to provide guidance regarding the assignment of display cases, the aesthetic consistency and quality control among the display cases, materials used to construct them and obligations to keep posted materials current.
The policy for on-campus display cases sets forth the standards and requirements for assigning installing, and maintaining display cases along Columbia University’s College Walk. Cost issues are also addressed.
Primary Guidance To Which This Policy Responds
There is no primary policy to which this policy responds. It is independent of other policies of the University.
Who is Governed by This Policy
All University faculty and staff representing recognized departments and or organizations requesting display cases, or who are currently assigned a display case location.
Who Should Know This Policy
Senior executive officers, deans, vice presidents, chairs of departments, directors of institutes and centers, senior administrative officers, and departmental administrators.
Responsible University Offices & Officers
All requests are overseen by Columbia University Facilities (CUF) in consultation with Columbia University’s Office of Communications and Public Affairs. The Executive Vice President for Facilities is the responsible officer.
The University Signage Committee is responsible for establishing the University’s signage policy for the Morningside Heights campus.
Columbia University Display Cases - Standards
A. Procedure for Requesting and Receiving Display Case Approval
- On-campus display cases may be requested from Columbia University Facilities through CUF’s online Project Request Form by University schools, departments, centers, institutes and other entities to announce events, exhibitions and other programs that change on a regular basis and have broad appeal within the University community. Assignment of a location is managed by CUFO Planning. Fabrication and installation of all display cases is managed by CUFO Capital Project Management. For more information, call Columbia University Facilities Services Center at (212) 854-2222.
- The client requesting the display case must have an approval letter from the requesting department’s head with an account number. All display case requests from Morningside campus academic units must be approved by the appropriate Dean and the Executive Vice President for Arts & Sciences (where applicable). Requests from Morningside campus administrative units must be approved by the Vice President or Executive Vice President having jurisdiction. Requests from units located at another Columbia campus must be approved by the Provost.
- The final requests with be reviewed with the Budget Issues and Space Policy committee final to final approval.
- The University reserves the right to remove or re-assign a display case to another entity, in the event of a failure to appropriately use, maintain, or keep current, the materials contained therein, as determined by the Office of Communications and Public Affairs.
- Display cases are located along College Walk, mounted on the granite base of the following buildings:
- Dodge Hall, south façade
- Journalism Hall, north façade
- Kent Hall, south façade
NOTE: The north façade of Hamilton Hall is not deemed to be an appropriate wall for the display cases and as such no requests for this location will be accepted.
2. Each display case is to be mounted in the location designated by Columbia University Facilities, with a minimum clearance of no less than 12” above College Walk.
- To provide aesthetic consistency and quality control, all display boxes must conform to a standard design, utilize approved materials and be fabricated by an approved vendor, as specified by Columbia University Facilities. A drawing showing current CUF design requirements is attached as Exhibit A
Display Case Costs
- All costs in connection with the installation of a display case, which include the cost of the case, electrical connections and relocation of an existing display case (if required) shall be paid by the entity making the request.
- All costs of lighting, cleaning and maintaining the display case, as determined by CUF’s Facilities Operations group, shall also be paid by the applicable entity.