Columbia University Event Policy
Reason for the policy:
- New York state has imposed public health guidelines due to COVID-19 that impact campus event planner and execution
Outdoor Space Use and Reservations
Certain outdoor space has been designated as available for community use and other areas are available for reservation. Some outdoor space has been tented. View the Outdoor and Tented Space page on the Event Management website for more details.
Please remember that everyone is required to follow the Compact guidance, including wearing a face covering and keeping 6 feet of distance when accessing public space on campus.
No gatherings should exceed 50 persons and all are subject to the guidelines of New York State. To ensure that as many people as possible can have access to our open spaces, the University is not allowing student groups to book outdoor spaces during this period.
Student Event Programming
For the safety and health of our community and to ensure all undergraduate students have access to student organizations, in-person undergraduate student group programming for the Fall 2020 semester will not be permitted. Rather, student organizations should host robust programs, meetings, initiatives, and events virtually to continue to engage with the Columbia University community in an online format.
Venue Fact Sheets
A summary of each of the following venues has been compiled in a printable PDF format showing key venue details, including capacity information and available room configurations. These fact sheets are also available from the main venue page for each of these venues.
Event Management Spaces
- Essential gatherings must maintain physical distancing of 6 ft (2 m) between individuals. Updated occupancy numbers are posted alongside visual cue markers for distance and direction in all spaces. Event Management’s updated fact sheets, linked to below and posted on each venue page on this site, have current occupancy information.
- All public and event spaces will be monitored for capacity and cleanliness throughout the day.
- Increased cleaning and disinfecting schedules have been implemented across our campus to promote a healthy and safe environment. All spaces are cleaned & all surfaces are disinfected after every event.
- Hand sanitizer is available in all Event Management spaces.
Events & Catering
- All staff, clients and guests are required to wear face coverings.
- Event hosts should pre-register guests to avoid lines and assist with capacity concerns. Digital check-in and materials are recommended.
- Gathering in lobbies or other areas before or after event will not be permitted.
- If the event will be catered, there will be no buffet-style or self-serve F&B stations. Food must be staff-served with enhanced PPE or individually wrapped / boxed meals.
- Event Management offers Virtual Event Solutions for all virtual & hybrid events.